Patent and Trademark: Their Importance,Types, and Requirements
Have you ever heard of the word patent? Whenever you think about patenting an idea or a product, then many questions come across our mind. Some of which include:
What is the patent all about?
What are the categories into which they can be classified?
When do I need to file for a patent?
So what is Patent?
A patent can be defined as a license given to an individual or a group or an institution by the government to prevent others from using their invention. A patent is a legal document which ensures that only the originators possess the exclusive rights to use their own ideas during the tenure of the patent.
- Entrepreneur – Start, Run and Grow your Business
- Tips To Recover Loses In Stock Market
- Get More Working Capital to Grow your Business
Patenting is giving a legal right to use the innovation as the innovator wants. Generally, the duration of the patent right granted by the government is 20 years. After the completion of the term, either the innovator can renew the property rights, or they may open it all for free.
Types of Patents:-
There are mainly three types of patents:
- Utility patents: The utility patents may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new and useful process, the machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful improvement thereof.
- Design patents: The patent may be granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture.
- Plant patents: The patent may be granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant.
What is a trademark?
Trademark is a symbol, sign, some number or letters or something else which helps to recognize or identifies the goods or the services from where the product is manufactured or sold out. This logo or symbol is named as the trademark.
What drives a manufacturer to have a trademark?
The trademark helps the manufacturer to prevent the other competitor’s from unfair trade. The unique logo helps loyal customers to bifurcate the product of their particular brand.
Trademark Application and its requirements:-
Nowadays, most of the countries try to make the registration process more comfortable, which is also the case with trademark registration Turkey. In the same direction, Trademarks Department of the Turkish Patent and Trademark Offices also initiated the facility to file trademark application electronically via an online system, which carries an examination. The final registration time period is estimated to be around eight official months from the immediate date of filling.
Trademarks Requirement for Application
- The name along with the address and the nationality of the candidate needs to be verified first.
- A power of attorney is then to be signed and sealed by the concerned candidate.
- Classification of the goods and services is to be carried out by the selection of a particular niche.
- Trademark sample is then formulated.
- The date, number and the country of priority claim [If at all such a claim is applied for].